Saturday, September 11, 2010

Street Exchange

On our way to the subway station from lunch at St. Lawrence's Market today, we got stopped by a group of 5-6 girls who explained "We are playing this game, 'bigger and better', where we have to exchange an item for something 'bigger and better'. Would you like to help us? We have this bag?". They were carrying a small reusable shopping bag. These are pretty common now from stores or giveaways since TO implemented a 5-cents charge for plastic bags.

We had just left a store where T bought me a new sans-BPA water bottle, so T gave me a "You are SO not giving them your bottle", and started answering "Uumm... No thanks". Me? I actually paused and considered participating 'cause I was carrying 3 used books with me. Yes, I'm a girl and carry a purse with lots of stuff for just in case moments. But no, the books were just a coincidence. I was planning to take them to the used-books store to sell them. So I pulled one out and said "Would this work?", and they all admired with "Really? Oh man, that would be really nice!". And we went one our way with two books and a bag.

My paranoia got the best of me afterwards whether: 1) Did I leave any old receipts or important papers inside as a bookmark?! and 2) Could I have gotten more than the $1-$2 I keep telling myself the book would have been worth if I had sold it instead?. Too late now, but it all makes for something to blog about.

2 comments:

Chams in PTY said...

What was inside the bag?

Lauri said...

Nothing, it was just a reusable shopping bag.

Update: I ended up getting $1.50 for the other books.