Monday, July 31, 2006

(25) Orlando

After a hard working couple of weeks, I got to enjoy a nice weekend in Orlando with Tim, who is at a conference this week. Very hot down there, sticky-ness galore, but it was not too bad. It brought back a lot of memories.. Disney, Wet 'n Wild, Busch Gardens.. Tough not having a car though, can't get to a lot of places. The Embassy Suites was on International Drive, which I remember as "the street where Wet 'n Wild is", but there's this whole campaign around this street to bring tourists to the area, even a specialized transit trolley line!. I guess as a kid, all you notice is how way early it is to have to go to see Mickey. With that, our options of where to go were limited, but that didn't stop us! We both got in Friday afternoon, and after checking in the hotel and getting some lunch, we did a typical Florida outing - putt putt! Or as Tim prefers, mini golf. Victory is mine! Later, we just hung out at the pool and saw the day go by. Free breakfast at the hotel was enough to carry us through a late start at Sea World! Shamu! Sham-u! I was excited because I hadn't been there in a long time, and aquariums and theme parks are always fun. I was a bit bummed that we didn't get to ride one of the water rides (who wants to wait 55 minutes in line in this heat!? - I guess the water splash is a big incentive), and we didn't see any sea otters, but I got to touch a dolphin!!! I hadn't been to Orlando in the summer (we always used to go in March), so it was odd to see so many people walking around in bathing suits and water-misting stations at different locations in the park. Even the restaurant we had dinner at that day had a fan and water-mister in the outdoor seating area. I actually found it not so pleasant, makes you stickier. Sunday activities included peaking around Tim's conference while I helped him set up his poster, an afternoon nap and work from the hotel room, and later on, more hanging out by the pool. I was bummed to have to go, especially since my flight was at 6am, but because I'm always bummed to go. *sigh*.

Next trip: New York and the US Open! No falling asleep this time!

Other than that, not much else to report other.

2 comments:

GoMa.on.the.go said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip! We're suffering through hot weather here too... 50 degrees with the humidex today! :(

Lauri said...

Ugh. I know, here in DC too. We were suppose to hit a record high today, though that record is just 99 F.

Stay cool!