Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Containment Area

They are renovating our hallways. One day we came back from work (and I add after a long, busy weekend) to find our entryway covered in dust... I thought it was just this area, but it ended up all over our apartment - our kitchen had a thin layer of dust everywhere, including the microwave in the corner! ARGH! Since we were gone that weekend, we had left the drying rack full of clean plates/tupperware! Ggrrrrrr... We had to spend a big chunk of our time vacuuming and cleaning everything (took a few nights to wash everything). Not fun at all.

Since then, I've put a plastic drop sheet to prevent any dust from coming in. Not sure how much more sanding they'll be doing, but I don't want to clean everything again. Our containment bubble is staying up until those renos are done!

I even added an extra layer of protection to the bottom of the door (which has a big gap as part of the ventilation system) with a thicker plastic piece (yay shopping bag!) that has a thin piece of cardboard to weigh it down (yay cereal box!). The plastic allows the ventilation to still work, but hopefully to prevent particles from flying high. They haven't done more work since so I can't say how well it works - but I sure al that work paid off!

PS: after the first incident, I wrote a stern letter to the management office for not giving notice of major work affecting our suite. I'm happy report that there are now notices/updates of how the work is going and if there's going to be dust.

No comments: