Graduation
After a 3-4 hour delay at the airport due to bad weather, I finally got to Boston at 1am Thursday. Thank goodness JetBlue rarely cancel flights, just need patience to wait as long as you can at the airport. However, this meant night #2 of little sleep (previous night was due to packing). Thursday, because of the late night arrival, I didn't get to work as much as I had planned, but I did get to visit the Booz Boston office (tiny, cubicles in a corner!) to 'network'. Night #3 of little sleep again because I had to be ready for commencement at 7:30am. 2000+ graduates meant almost 2 hours lining up in the gym, 20+ minute walk to the main area, more with speeches, then unto diplomas. Shorter than expected, but it was 1pm by the time we left (early too). At least it didn't pour rain like it was forecasted, just a few drops but nothing major.

Onto celebrations with food at my CE department and Tim's Oper.Research department, well-deserved nap and dinner with friends.
Saturday was for haircut for Tim (if you were wondering that from the pic), dim sum, and X-Men 3. Review: good, but could have been better. Graduation celebration ended with a nice dinner at the top of the 2nd tallest building in Boston, crossing off one more of our Top Ten Things To Do in Boston.) After all that, Sunday was perfect to rest, and with the nice sunny weather, window shopping and eating between MIT and Harvard was the perfect end to this weekend.
Oh, almost forgot. We accidently set the alarm to 4pm, instead of 4am, so I missed my flight, and had to pay $25 to get on the afternoon one.
In short, (jinxed flights + rain most days = bad days) and (Tim + friends = good days)
Weekdays at work
Not that exciting; though after a couple of days of not-so-exciting work, it might be getting hectic soon (when it rain, it pours). We'll see, they said that last time and didn't quite work out...
Carmen and Loraine visit!
It forced me to do some major apartment cleaningg, but I was really happy they came to visit! As they put it, the weekend would be: eat, sleep and soccer. And that it was. I finally tried out the pool in my building! Cold. Made steamed fish for Sat. dinner, and enjoyed it with an al-fresco sunset by moving the table to the balcony. Oh, and my banana bread with chocolate chips turned out yummy! So these were definitely good days.

Now for the really bad part of the day (main inspiration for the title and rant of this post). After Loraine almost lost her semi-new glasses right before they have to catch the bus (no worries, glasses were dropped in the car), we drive to DC to the bus station, where I dropped them off but decide to park the car and wait with them. Unfortunately, I did a horrible parallel parking job (think I might have bumped the car behind) and couldn't stay long. Then I decided to do a quick grocery run, and as I walk out of Safeway, I realized my car has a flat tire! GGGGGGRrrrrr. No idea how long it had been flat, if it just happened there or I had driven back from DC with it. Freaking out as I always do, I'm calling everyone I know while I drive 2 blocks to the near-by BP, then 1 more to Exxon, and 1 more to the tire shop, but all closed. I managed to drive (really slow) back to my apartment (thankfully only 3-4 blocks from where I already was). I took G's idea of signing up for AAA and calling them right away, which worked! So, a AAA mechanic came to my building and put the spare on for me (I should really learn to do that one day); I'll have to drive it to the tire shop tomorrow morning. Hopefully they'll just patch it up and it won't be expensive to repair.
Oh, on top of that, Carmen and Loraine's bus broke down (I heard lost of smoke/exhaust). They had to wait almost 1.5 hours for a new bus to take them to NY.
So today: Definitely a BAD DAY!.
I think it's time to call it a day and hope tomorrow is better...
No comments:
Post a Comment