Thursday, August 23, 2012

Weekend getaway

Crazy renos had been consuming our weekends this summer. So, T and I decided semi-last minute to enjoy a weekend away. To DC we went! Hehe. It's been the summer of visiting my old stomping grounds.

We arrived on Saturday around noon, after an annoying delay at YYZ. But yay for free upgrades! First stop was the WH. Fun to see after recently watching the full west wing series. Though a bummer you couldn't really see it with some construction going on in front. Then we headed south, towards the Jefferson memorial, which I'd never been too. We realized why...cause it's a bit of a walk! But pretty views of the basin and DC. We had some time to kill before meeting up with some of my MIT/MST friends, so we did a quick stop at the Natural History Museum. Then off to drinks and dinner. I miss hanging out with old friends. Lots of memories.

Sunday we slept in and planned on starting our walk through Georgetown. Unfortunately it started pouring rain as soon as we got there! We found shelter and grabbed lunch, but it was still pouring after we finished and took a cab to the Mall. The American History was the only museum I wanted to visit this trip. I think I've been, but I don't remember. We saw Julia Child's kitchen! We walked next door to the Natural History one again, then a quick stop at the Air and Space on our walk towards the Capitol. After a nice tapas dinner, we were exhausted!

Monday was our last day. We were initially going to go to the Lincoln Memorial (they really need to have transit access to this part of the Mall), but after two exhausting days of walking, we opted instead to visit my old neighbo(u)rhood. We had lunch at Whole Foods (yes, it's odd but we missed having one), and did a bit of shopping before heading back to the hotel and airport.

DC is another place I regret not taking more advantage of when I lived there. So many places and things I never went/did. But I realized it requires a lot of walking and subway trips. Oh, I miss my car sometimes.

No comments: