I've been eying a new mixer (I just had a hand one before) for a while, especially with my new baking project/challenge. I debated it even more because it's a big purchase - thought maybe I should get it later as I became more of a pro with baking goods or as a "graduation" present from my self-taught classes. I also just recently bought the kitchen scale and spent a big bit on expanding our movie collection (video store was going out of business!). Unfortunately, slow work days = internet surfing of sale flyers, and a great sale is hard to pass up! This place had the regular series on sale (though really at the same price as amazon), but they also had their special model on super sale! With the sale, it was cheaper than the regular one and comes with a glass bowl and metal mixers... I was going to post my dramatic stress about whether to get it or not, which one to get, and whether green is more valuable than red, but I'll save you the rant. I went to the store to go check them out, and when I noticed the super special price was not as super, I asked (with phone showing super price) if the store hono(u)rs the online price. They say "Sorry, different distributor". WHAT!? You're the same store! The oldest store in Canada!... Turns out for the better, because I ended up ordering online with free shipping, which saved me the arduous trek on the subway with a super heavy box. Delivery was super fast, and I had my new toy two nights later.
PS: I found out later the "special" one at $100 more retail price than the regular one is really just a scam, as the sales rep told me the special one was high, then came back down on price and just recently went back up. Oh well, I paid less, can see better what's being mixed, and it says "Architect". :)
Baking Project: Week/Recipe #3
So, what do I try to make with my new mixer? Chocolate Guinness cupcakes! I found a new foodie blog and was intrigued by this recipe. We were going bowling with T's students on Friday, so I thought this would be a good time to make them.
Grade: C
The batter was strange; it was all goopy and bubbling from the beer. I made a combination of mini and regular-sized cupcakes, and I couldn't quite get the timing right. They ended up being moist (more like wet) and airy, but not in a good way. I'm not really sure what they were suppose to look like or taste, but I wasn't 100% confident on mine. Plus, I didn't do the buttercream, and they were a bit bland on their own. I added some icing (powdered sugar, water and a bit of vanilla), which was meh, or powdered sugar. By the next day, it was just sticky/wet from the sugar. People said they were good, but I say definitely not my best. The recipe said 24 regular cupcakes... I ended up with 24 regular and 24 minis! That's a big difference!


No comments:
Post a Comment