The first week we made fried panko-breaded avocado with homemade chipotle mayonnaise, french onion soup, rack of lamb, mediterranean couscous, and salty caramel ice cream. I made the avocado (so yummy) and the couscous (not a fan of couscous). The rest was good, except I'm not into lamb and the salty caramel ice cream was good, very different tasting but so much work I doubt I will ever make it. I think the only one I would make again is the soup, when I get around to buying the soup bowls soon. This is my second time eating fried avocado - pretty tasty (it's fried!) and a conversation-starter, but I don't like frying in the house.
The second week, there was only 3 of us, and the menu was sweet-and-sour red cabbage soup, mushroom rarebit, and shrimp and sausage pasta. The first one was good, but again not something I would probably do again at home. The mushroom rarebit is basically toast, sauteed mushrooms and a mixture of cheese+breadcrumbs+mustard+worcestershire on top. I made the shrimp and pasta sausage in class, which has a white wine sauce, garlic, basil and pine nuts. We had it with this special pasta that are tiny little balls (kinda like couscous, but bigger). The last two were good, hence our invite to people for dinner this past Saturday. :) Unfortunately, as expected, my dishes didn't turn out as good as they did in class (maybe I was hungry back then, since we don't eat until about 8?). My mushroom rarebit turned out really salty, maybe the result of using just cheddar instead of gruyère+cheddar and trying to make my own breadcrumbs with leftover bread (which just added so much unnecessary work to my day...). The pasta I made with fresh fussilli pasta. I forgot to salt, but it was just ok. We also had asparagus with oil + balsamic, made by T!! (oops, I forgot to take a picture)
The cheese in class melted into almost liquid. Mine stayed stuck, maybe too many coarse breadcrumbs?
Not bad, need some parmesan cheese on top next time!
Two more classes to go. I hope we get to make the stuff the class description said "seared duck breast in a port wine sauce, leek bread pudding, exotic black rice risotto, apple cranberry fruit tart, chocolate cake and more". I doubt it. The lady chef seems to just wing it. But hopefully it'll be something good and yummy I can replicate at home!
No comments:
Post a Comment