Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Law Bock Gow

I think that's how you spell it... This past Sunday's project: turnip cake! We were invited to a Chinese New Year dinner, and looking at traditional dishes for the celebration, I decided to volunteer to bring this. Of course, before bringing anything to a party, I have to test it out. This was our test run!

It is one of my favo(u)rite dim sum dishes and also brings back great childhood memories. My Apo used to make it a lot. We called it "Pie de Comida" - translation: Food Pie - because it was so colo(u)rful and had lots of ingredients. She made them in huge batches, in her large metal steamers and then distributed among the aunties/uncles/cousins. MMMmmmm.

Although it reads like it's quite a bit of work, it wasn't that much. Probably because I skipped the soaking of dried mushrooms and shrimps. I do, of course, now appreciate the labo(u)r of love my Apo and my Mom (she makes it too) put into it. The step that took the most was the peeling/grating of the white radish, and then having to keep an eye on the boiling water to make sure it doesn't dry out. I mixed up steps from different recipes and I added the Apo special ingredient: carrots! It also has shitake mushrooms (instead of dried chinese mushrooms) and lap cheung.

The recipe calls for 1 1/4-1 1/2 of cooking. I had to split it into two cake/pie pans and have two steamers going, so I probably cooked it longer than needed (since mine were thinner). And after all that work, you have to wait overnight :( I thought we might be able to eat it right away, but not the right consistency to grill. So I steamed it on Sunday afternoon and finally got to eat it tonight! We put it on our griddle to pan fry. Could have been crispier, but we were too hungry to wait. YUMMY!

Dry ingredients (one recipe called for mixing the turnip+rice flour + water first, but the one I followed mixed all the dry stuff first and then add the water that cooked the turnip)

Round cake pie - just like Apo used to make!

Final product!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Looks good! We had this awesome one this weekend made w purple taro instead.

Chams in PTY said...

You can mix the white turnips (nabo) with potatoes, half and half! Apo also put some ground pork.
I bought a pound or rice flour to make it, but haven't gotten around to make it yet. The rice flour makes it easier, Apo used to soak the rice overnite and then put it in the blender or thru the corn grinder.

Mama & Baba said...

Looks delicious. Hope that we can make one together next time.