Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Weekend

Christmas Eve was spent at home with a nice home-cooked meal. I cooked a prime rib roast with potatoes and carrots, green beans with mushrooms, avocado and tamales from Panama. Yay for tamales! We've been saving them in our freezer since August, and I thought "It's not Christmas without tamales!"

Christmas morning we woke up (though got to sleep in) and opened presents by our mini tree. (Hope everyone had a great Christmas!) Got two warm scarves, gloves and small black purse. Must keep warm, check! I got T a shiatsu pillow massager. Hehe. A gift we can both share, right? :) Afterwards, we did go to chinatown for lunch and even got T a haircut. Chinese people really do work hard. Everything was open, it was like any other weekend with people everywhere.

Saturday we went out to the mall for a bit. Have never done the Black Friday thing in the US and this was my first Boxing Day.. Boy, crazy stuff! We didn't see people lining out the door for electronics, but for Hollister - What the!? We wondered what could that store possibly have that it had the longest line in the whole mall! In the evening, we went to see Up in the Air. Other than the Hollywood buzz it's gotten, I haven't heard many people wanting to go see it (they are more into going to see Avatar or Sherlock Holmes). We wanted to go see it because it's about the crazy life of travelling and reward loyalties. Hehe. It made us miss a bit of that "elite status" life style. :) The movie was good, though I think the ending was fast-tracked and could have been better.

Tomorrow is another day off, yay! After almost 2 years thinking about it, I finally used our fondue pot to eat chinese hot pot. It was the reason why I wanted a fondue pot in the first place, thinking we would have nice warm hot pot during Chicago winters. Yeah, that didn't quite happen and we've only used the pot once for cheese fondue (store bought). We had tofu, chicken, beef, cabbage and shitake mushrooms. It worked really well, the water/stock boils to a good temperature and easy clean up!

2 comments:

carmen said...

so much food! how did u guys eat all of it!? did you eat the WHOLE turkey?

Lauri said...

Hehe. We ate all of the prime rib (too much meat!), and saved the veggies for leftovers.

Turkey was the week before for a party - ate turkey curry for the next 3 days...