The hibernation of my bike and reading this article (PS, I don't get the title of it), has prompted me to finally blog about why I am not looking forward to commuting on the subway every day. Don't get me wrong, I like transit. I support it. And some days, yes, I do like the fact I can sit for 15 minutes or so to read the newspaper and do a sudoku. I didn't have a problem with transit to work before, but here's why I do now.
Trains here are packed. Especially around 8:45am, which I learned early on is the peak 15-minute (aka, the peak of the peak). Some days I have to wait 2-3 trains to go by before I can get in. Some days, I intentionally stay at home a bit longer (no complaints about the extra sleep, of course) to avoid the rush 15-minutes. Sure, packed trains means less car trips, "go transit!", etc. But what gets to me are the people who don't have the sense to move to the centre (I'm learning my Canadian) or sit when there's an empty seat in front of them. Everyone wants to be by the door to avoid pushing to get out, I understand, but come on! MOVE! Make room! I don't get it - why wouldn't you want the centre space, there's more room because other people don't pack in like sardines! Empty seat? Take it! (But first offer it to the elderly or family if there are any around. If they don't want it, then you take it) You don't have to be a transportation planner to know about seating and standing capacity. Why wouldn't you sit over being squished and pushed around... Many times I find myself pushing and shoving to get to the middle or get to sit. People probably think I'm ill-mannered. But really, I'm being sensible and applying my transportation planning knowledge about volume and capacity :)
Weird people. Yes, every city / transit system has them. One day a while back, one guy came in making x-rated noises over the phone. It helped me be thankful for my bike.
Lack of civility. I will admit, I've put my feet up, though not on the cloth part of the seat and especially not if it's wet or the train is full. But I gladly move over so others can sit on the empty seat next to me, step out of the trains so others can alight, or give up my seat to the elderly, like today. Sadly, I haven't seen many others do the same. I'm no saint (remember, I push and shove), I just believe in karma and in transit :)
To this end, here's my list of must-dos in transit. Applies to bus, subways, streetcars, any mode:
- Give up your seat to your elders, children and people with children.
- Unless you are getting off at the next stop, move to the centre and/or back.
- Unless you are getting off at the next stop, take a seat.
- Don't eat, drink or smoke on the vehicle.
- Recycle your newspaper. Don't leave it on the seat or on the floor.
- Say hi and thank you to the operator.
- Don't be loud.
- Be kind.
I'm sure I have others I can't remember right now...
And to my bike: I will miss you. I took me time to get used to you and I had my lazy days. But I will miss our rides and quick trips to the chinese grocery store and the 3-buns-for-$1 chinese bakery. See you next season!
Oh, and one of these days I hope to complete the crossword puzzle on my way home!
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I fully support your transit courtesy must-do list. I hate having to push past all these people who won't move into the train. I would add the following to the list:
- Only one seat per person.
- Wait for everyone to get off the train before you push your way onto the train.
- Personal hygiene is meant to be personal. Don't do your grooming on the train.
Luckily I leave for work early enough to avoid the peak loading period. Any chance you can contribute to spreading the peak and leave for work earlier/later?
Yes, good ones. I will add:
- Don't block the doors.
- If you do break the "Don't eat or drink" rule, don't leave your trash in the vehicle.
I spread the peak by doing the opposite and leaving later :)
Post a Comment