Monday, June 30, 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Where I have been for the past 3 weeks? Traveling for work and mini vacation. Not counting our trip to Vancouver for Memorial day, I have logged in around 13,475 miles.

First trip, I went to DC for a meeting June 11-13. That's 1,224 miles on an airplane, plus around 4 miles on train. Thanks to taking the Washington Metro from the airport to the hotel, I can count a train! Disclaimer: Miles based on driving directions on google maps, couldn't find where to calculate Metro miles.

I came back home for the weekend, and headed out to Boston on Monday. My project is in Connecticut, but sometimes I like flying into Logan airport and driving down. That's 1,734 air miles, plus the roundtrip miles on the car. In addition, our team went to dinner a few times, login in a total of 382 miles by the time I returned the rental car.

The next weekend, instead of coming back home to Chicago, I flew out to Honolulu. T was there for work and we decided to make it a mini vacation. I spent 24 hours flying and was there for around 54 hours. It was totally worth it. :) Come on, it's Hawaii. Got to eat some good food (pork loco moco and lilikoi spare ribs..yum), swim with the fishies (no turtles, but still beautiful), and have cocktails with T. 10,277 air miles, plus 19 miles to/from airport and 20 miles roundtrip to Hanauma Bay where we went snorkeling.

Back to Boston/Connecticut via a red-eye flight on Sunday night, HNL-LAX-BOS, and another drive down lovely I-90, I-84 and I-91. In addition to the 238 miles I logged in the rental car, I am adding 146 miles from Rocky Hill, CT to Stamford, CT for one of our meetings (though I didn't drive).

Finally got back home last Friday, though that was a truly stressful day encountering major highway closure on my way to Boston, cancelled lunch plans with friends (Sorry, JB, hopefully next time!), delayed flights and ugly traffic in Chicago.

Add the 4 taxi rides to/from O'Hare, I think I did the math correctly. Needless to say, I'm exhausted. Happy for the reward miles and points I got out of it, but crazy travels.

Glad to be home; had a nice relaxing weekend. Where is summer??? It's been hot and sunny, but still chilly and rainy at times.

No comments: